Veterans Independence Program
About Veterans Independence Program (VIP)
- Veterans Independence Program (VIP) is a program funded by the VA that follows the guidelines of the VA’s Veteran-Directed Home and Community Based Services (VD- HCBS)
- VIP allows you, as a Veteran, to receive services in your home and community while managing your own service plan and budget.
- VIP helps you live independently, in your own home, and not in nursing care.
- VIP helps veterans of all ages who need nonmedical supports and services, and assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing and getting dressed, or important activities, such as fixing meals and taking medicines. VIP also assists family and friends who need support to better support their veterans.
- You, or a representative, manage your flexible budget to pay for goods and services.
How Is Eligibility for VIP Determined?
- The goal of VIPis to allow you to remain in your own home rather than have to move into a nursing facility to receive the care you need.
- Your VA Medical Center will determine whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements for VIP based on their functional criteria assessment.
What Does CPWD Do?
While you, the veteran, are the sole decision maker in terms of your needs, goals, who you hire and how much they are paid (within the appropriate limits), we at CPWD are here to help you achieve your independent living goals by supporting you in the following ways:
- Conducting a person-centered needs assessment of your current needs and goals and future goals
- Guiding you through the process of using VIP
- Supporting you in hiring a caregiver and supporting you in managing that caregiver
- Assisting you in creating a spending plan with your budget from the VA that supports your needs and goals
- Providing referrals or opportunities for additional independent living resources that might help you
How Will I Benefit From VIP?
You will be in charge of your support services. You will be able to choose supports and services that fit your assessed needs. With VIP, you will manage a budget for your services. You’ll be able to:
- Create your own Participant Spending Plan (PSP)
- Choose where and when the services are provided
- Choose your personal care assistants - including family members - and pay them (if personal care is part of your plan)
- Save for needed equipment or vehicle and residential modification
What Should I Do Next?
If you are interested in VIP, here are the following next steps for you to take:
1. Contact your VA and get a referral from your VA doctor or social worker
2. Contact CPWD at email@example.com (303) 442-8662 x103 or (303) 790-1390 x205 to let us know you want to be part of the Veterans Independence Program.
These steps will let everyone know you are intersted, and then we can take next steps to assist you in getting the support you need!